Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Vogue 1440 - White cotton tunic w/ back yoke detail

I'm taking a break from making silk blouses to add some cotton to my wardrobe. It's much easier to wear here in the summer and doesn't stick to sweaty skin as easily. I used Vogue 1440, a separates pattern by Donna Karan. Now this is a great pattern! You get three designer pieces that are very wearable for the price of one. The blouse was what called my name first, but I do plan to make both the jacket and the pants at some point.


What I loved about this design was the armhole bands and interesting back yoke feature. It calls for a solid color to show off those areas, and I picked a crisp white cotton shirting from Mood fabrics. This is a nice medium weight fabric that holds its shape well. Good quality cottons are always fun to sew with as they press well and don't slip around on you.


I really deliberated about what size to cut. Usually I cut a 12 for Vogue patterns but the bust measurements printed on the pattern were really big. My measurements put me at an 6 but I never wear that small of a size so I went for the 10 just to be safe. I'm so glad I did as the bust measurements are just plain wrong. The size 10, for example, is suppose to be 37.5" around, which I would be swimming in. As you can see, it is pretty fitted. If you decide to make this blouse, I advise actually measuring the pattern for yourself to determine which size to cut. I folded 1.5" out of each front pattern piece between the dart and the center front before I cut into the fabric. I wanted an easy-fitting blouse but it is really voluminous as drafted. This pattern could easily be used for maternity wear!


I just adore the back!!! Anyone with a muscular back or shoulders should make this top. I have neither but still think it's flattering. I'm seeing lots of RTW with that back slit detail which is another nice feature.


After I got the blouse to a stage where I could try it on but didn't yet have the collar attached, I noticed that the front neckline was really high. And then I really got to looking at the blouses others have made from this pattern and noticed how those collars folded over past the armbands. I think it's drafted that way on purpose to give it more of a relaxed look, and I can't tell if the original is like that or not. However, I wanted more of a traditional collar look for my blouse. I cut the center fronts down by 1" and used the collar and collar stand from another Vogue pattern. If I make this pattern again I will raise the center back neckline a little as I think it's pulling the collar down in the back. Weird. The front was too high and the back is too low.


Does anyone else get excited about reading pattern directions? I couldn't wait to get my hands on this pattern so I could figure out how that back band was attached. It's so unique. I did change the order of stitching the bands to the fabric in order to avoid lumpy shoulders. Being precise while topstitching is always fun to me so I enjoyed those parts a lot.

More dressform pictures:


The concealed button closure has no interfacing called for. This made me a little nervous but it turned out fine in the end and isn't floppy at all. If using a fabric that is lighter weight you may want to add interfacing to this area.


Something else I love about this pattern are the beautifully finished insides included in the directions. All fabric edges are enclosed in some manner and there's no overlocking needed. There is a bias hem facing pattern piece which I was super excited about. Wow, that made making the hem SO MUCH EASIER then the usual double folded hem that puckers and never will lay completely flat. I am using a bias hem facing for all shaped hems from now on.


This was such a fun project to work on! I think I might use the top part of this blouse again and make more of a fitted/shorter garment just for some variety. It's too lovely of a design not to make a second time.

Note: This fabric was purchased with my Mood Fabrics monthly allowance, as part of my participation in the Mood Sewing Network.

54 comments:

  1. Wow! That is just gorgeous. You did such a beautiful job. I've never seen a bias hem facing before. I also love to read sewing instructions, so I think I will have to get this pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I'm glad I'm not the only weirdo with sewing instructions! ;)

      Delete
  2. I just love it!! What a wonderful top this is, agreed the back is really nice!... Great job..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made this blouse and love mine, too. I agree, great pattern with fantastic finishing and details. Yours is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your review of this top was actually really helpful to me and I loved the linen look you went for. Thanks Jenny!

      Delete
  4. I just adore everything you make! I'm always so happy to see your projects. You are such a fine seamstress! This top is so beautiful and classy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What at first glance appears to be a regular white shirt is a beautiful, elegant garment. Impeccable sewing, as always! I might have to get that pattern. It's just gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nursebennett! I think it's a universally flattering top. You should definitely make one for yourself!

      Delete
  6. you have convinced me, that looks great. I really like your adjustments to the collar, it suits your frame better than as drafted.putting this on on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see the one you make, Beth! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Such an elegant top. Classic but yet trendy. You did a GREAT job & it looks lovely on you.
    See me @ www.sewplus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love! Perfection! Great review and I'm going out to buy it now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the best version I have seen. Fits you lovely. The back detail would look great on a sheath dress too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree about a dress version. Thank you Vicki!

      Delete
  10. Perfection as per usual! Hem facing sounds like a pretty fab idea. Sometimes I read pattern instructions while doing my stretches. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyle! I've used a hem facing for full skirts before, but never a bias facing for a shaped shirt hem. It was really easy with this sturdy cotton.

      Delete
  11. Looks fab on you. You're right the back details are just wonderful and I am definitely going to remember the bias hem facing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love this top! I have to buy it just for the finishing details alone! Great review with lots of helpful information.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shirt and wonderful finishes. I've never seen this pattern before. I think it will look very prtty in a longer version as a dress shirt, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have seen it with the jacket over the top and not realized the shirt had and interesting details. For sure it would look great at a shirt dress. Maybe I'll do that instead of a shorter top. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  14. So pretty! You were really smart to use a different collar on this. I just finished my muslin and got really frustrated with the collar band and collar. I like the appearance of the setback and smaller collar on your band much much better. And it's sure easier to get a clean finish on the ends of the band. Will change up for my next version. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco! At first I was just going to cut the front neckline down a little and got out another pattern to guide me. Then I got to looking at the collar and neckband from that other pattern and realized how much less curved this pattern's collar was. Also I didn't even realize the original had no set back for the collar!

      Delete
  15. Great looking blouse and you do such nice work Amanda. I really love the back. I find amazingly lax to think that all these issues should exist in a Vogue Designer pattern! Don't the people who sew up these patterns notice that the pattern just isn't working?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Diana! As I understand it, Vogue makes a pattern from a designer garment and then photographs the original garment for the pattern envelope. I wish they would make one and photograph it too, so the customer could see any possible deviations from the original.

      Delete
  16. I have this pattern - bought for the jacket but am now considering the blouse. Your execution is perfection as usual. I agree this is both classic yet trendy. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely! I've pulled that pattern out a dozen times at home, thinking "I should!" and then backing away thinking "I'm scared!" But, with your detailed review, I think it's moving up in the sewing "to make" pile!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This top looks great on you. Beautiful job as always, Amanda! Bias hem facing...hmm, I need to try that! —Meg

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, this is so beautiful. I like the jacket too, but the pattern is not the cheapest and not sure if I can get it here in Canada.
    Enjoy it!!
    Love, Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely blouse. As usual your sewing is so impeccable! May I ask what sewing machine{s) you use? Not sure if you've posted about this recently. My relatively new Viking is a disappointment and I need tips to look for a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a Brother NX-450. I've had it for at least 5 years and really like it. Of course it has it's little quirks, but I think every machine does. Thanks Lynne!

      Delete
  21. Love the back side. I agree this would look awesome in a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's beautifully done and it looks terrific on you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, this is so cute! I love that back detail- it looks so great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Amanda,

    I love your new blouse, it's business in the front and party in the back. Your sewing is always neat. You really inspire me to sew more carefully. Well done ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I bought this pattern for the jacket(which I'm still looking for the right fabric for), but I hadn't really looked at the top. It's really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like the jacket too, but the top I just adored. Give me an interesting detail and/or construction and I am sure to buy the pattern! Thanks Radiojane!

      Delete